CLUBBED THUMB IS GOING TO BROADWAY
We’re thrilled to announce that our much beloved production from Summerworks 2017 is headed to The Helen Hayes Theater for a limited run. It’s the first time that Clubbed Thumb will be above-the-title on a Broadway show, so we hope you’ll join us for it! Tickets and info HERE
WINTERWORKS 2019 IS UPON US!
Join us for an evening of short-ish new plays directed by our
18/19 Directing Fellows: Tara Ahmadinejad, Sarah Blush and Kate Eminger directing plays by Sarah Einspanier, Amina Henry and Bryna Turner
Read more about the directors and RSVP HERE
Playwright Vivian Barnes has been awarded our 2018 open-application commission!
We just met Vivian at our holiday party, and didn’t think we had read her work—-or were about to give her $10,000! We look forward to getting to know her and working together over the next few years.
The panel–which included Jaclyn Backhaus, Migdalia Cruz, April Matthis, and CT’s Michael Bulger and Maria Striar–read 140 anonymous proposals, selecting Vivian’s for the grand prize, and awarding five finalists $1,000 each: Kori Alston, Phillip Howze, Deneen Reynolds-Knott, Ruth Tang and Andrea Thome.
12 semi-finalists were also named: John J Caswell, Jr., Preston Choi, Daniella De Jesus, Noah Diaz, Georgina Escobar, Deepali Gupta, Kristine Haruna Lee, Daniel K. Isaac, Julia Izumi, Garrett Kim, Johnny Lloyd and Maia Matsushita. Congratulations, and thank you to everyone who applied!
Vivian is only one of the over 40 playwrights we’ll be supporting in 2019 with residencies, retreats, commissions, workshops, writers’ groups and of course, productions.
HELP US HELP THEM WITH A DONATION NOW.
THIS WEEK WE'RE WORKSHOPPING TWO COMMISSIONS
We’re delighted to have nearly 20 artists in the building this week working on two of our current commissions. We’ll have a presentation of each, but seating is very limited – let us know if you can join and we’ll send along the info
The Woman’s Party by Rinne Groff, directed by GT Upchurch — Friday, Dec 7th at 1:00pm. and Spindle Shuttle Needle by Gab Reisman, directed by Tamilla Woodard — Saturday, Dec 8th at 3:30pm. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
CELEBRATE THE HOLIDAYS WITH CLUBBED THUMB
Join us as we celebrate all we’ve done in 2018! There’ll be a big pot of gløgg, dancing around the tree, our signature strange and unusual traditions — and who knows, YOU might be the Troll King this year. It’s free – but do RSVP so we know how large of a marzipan pig to make
We’re back in Superlab this week, working on We Are Radios, by Chana Porter, with composer Ted Hearne, directed by Adam Greenfield and featuring Bill Buell, Tomás Cruz, Gregg Mozgala, Alex Flores, Kristine Haruna Lee and Annette O’Toole. Join us on Friday, Oct 12th at 3pm to hear the play —
RSVP to email@example.com
QUINN CORBIN JOINS THE CLUBBED THUMB STAFF AS ADVANCEMENT DIRECTOR
We first met Quinn many years ago, when she was working as a literary agent for Gersh; in fact it was she who sent us a play by and urged us to meet with a talented young playwright named Jaclyn Backhaus. Since then, Quinn has been building her skills with fundraising and events, as well as reading plays and adjudicating awards for institutions across the country–and so comes to us with the perfect mix of experiences we were looking for. She’s great, we’re lucky to have her on our team, and we can’t wait for you to get to know her at an upcoming event.
MEET THE 2018/2019 EARLY-CAREER WRITERS' GROUP
We’re excited to introduce you to (and get to know ourselves) eight writers, nominated by our mid-career alumni community, who will meet over the coming season – culminating in presentations of their work during Summerworks. They are: Alexander Paris, April Ranger, Emma Goidel, Lily Akerman, Lizzie Stern, Sanaz Toossi, T. Adamson and Zhu Yi – learn more about them HERE
• Maria Striar (Producing Artistic Director, Founder) Maria helped found Clubbed Thumb in 1996, and has been on its staff since. Up until 2004 she directed and performed in many of the company’s shows. She still performs upon occasion with other downtown companies. Maria conceived and edited 2007’s Funny, Strange, Provocative: Seven Plays from Clubbed Thumb. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.F.A. from the University of California, San Diego.
• Quinn Corbin (Advancement Director) most recently served as Head of Events for the American Associates of the National Theatre. She has served as an independent script reader for the National Theatre, New York Theatre Workshop, Juilliard, Ars Nova, The Lark, Sundance Theatre Lab, The Public Theater, the Princess Grace Award in Playwriting, Clubbed Thumb, South Coast Repertory, the Samuel French Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival, and the Great Plains Theatre Conference (where she has also been a returning guest artist), and is a nominator for The Kilroys and a subcommittee member for The Relentless Award. She worked for three years at The Gersh Agency where she represented playwrights, directors, and designers. She is the co-founder of C+C Mini Factory alongside Chelsea Cates. Under this moniker they have been social media influencers for companies like Starbucks and Firefox and were awarded “Instagrammer of the Year” in 2015 by the Shorty Awards (honoring the best of social media).
• Michael Bulger (Associate Artistic Director) In New York, Michael has worked for St. Ann’s Warehouse, The Public Theater, The Cherry Lane Theatre and others. Prior to that he worked for Center Theatre Group and Brimmer Street Theatre Company in Los Angeles. He teaches Creative Producing at Playwrights Horizons Theater School / NYU where he is also a consulting producer on mainstage productions. He received his B.A. from Emerson College and a Masters in arts administration from Columbia University.
• Kim Golding (Producing Fellow) is a director, producer, and performer from Bronx, New York. She’s been an Artistic Intern at NYTW and a New Works Lab Fellow for Playwrights Horizons. Her recent credits include: UGLY (The Bushwick Starr), DREAMERS OFTEN LIE (The Brick), MADONNA COL BAMBINO (ANT Fest, Ice Factory 2018), DRAFT DODGING (Dixon Place), R&D A NIGHTMARE IN THREE FLOWCHARTS (The Brouhaha Theatre Project), and MOUTH CONTROL (2017 Expat Expo – English Theatre Berlin). Kim holds a B.A. in Theater and Psychology from Williams College.
• Joan Sergay (Producing Fellow) is a director, writer, and producer based in Brooklyn. She recently finished a Directing Apprenticeship at the Actors Theatre of Louisville under the mentorship of Les Waters and Meredith McDonough. Joan has worked at PlayCo, Studio Theatre, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, Rivendell Theatre, Citadel Theatre, and Piven Theatre. This season, Joan is a Directing Fellow at Manhattan Theatre Club and will be assistant directing at Primary Stages and Vineyard Theatre. She received her B.A. from Northwestern University in Theatre and Creative Writing.